Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Dr. Know-It-All

Last Wednesday I waddled into the Big Hospital for my OB and Group B Strep test. Group B Strep is a bacteria that sometimes makes its way into preggosauruses. It doesn’t affect us, but can lead to health complications for baby if it’s present in the birth canal during labor and delivery. It’s not an STD and isn’t indicative of risky behavior or anything – some women just have it and some don’t. Thus far, I haven’t and don’t.

I saw a doctor I’ve only met once before, for an ultrasound; and her student. Ladies and gentlemen, I was not impressed by this doctor. I get that when teaching, a doctor needs to be professional and knowledgeable; but there’s something to be said for teaching a student to listen to patients rather than talking over them, interrupting them and dismissing their comments.

First off, the student completely skipped over my pelvis and started trying to measure from my “bits.” I had to stop her and tell her, “My pelvis is right here,” and guide her to it. Then the doctor and I argued over whether or not the doc’s measurement was correct, because she did so mid-Braxton-Hicks-contraction. After that, we listened to Nugget’s heartbeat for a second, and they did the Group B Strep swab.

I asked if they would be willing to check me, because I was curious to see whether or not I was at all dilated.
“It’s not going to affect what we do here,” she snapped.
“I understand that. I’m just curious,” I replied calmly, though my patience was waning.
She did the check, and snapped at me again when I told her that my uterus is ever so slightly tipped. She reported that I was 2 centimeters dilated and 50% effaced. As she did so and withdrew her fingers, I felt a gush. I don’t normally gush after an exam, and told her so.
“It’s just discharge,” she sighed and then informed me, “You’ll have a little bit of spotting for the next few days. It’s nothing unusual;” and left.

I checked out at the front desk and went to the bathroom, having gushed a little bit a few more times after that. Called Mum and chatted a little bit, explaining what my level of dilation meant (not much yet) but that I felt the gush was significant. I haven’t had any more since Wednesday, but my Braxton-Hicks contractions are growing ever stronger and there’s regular pressure down in my pelvis.

Today we find out whether Nugget is indeed engaged, and whether s/he is breech or vertex. Crossing my fingers for engaged and vertex! Dr. Colorful said that my most recent pregnancy is the most indicative as far as what to expect this time. If that’s so, then I should be popping any time this week, MAYBE next week.


More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment