Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Another Late One

Well ladies and gents, yesterday was my due date and Nugget was a no-show. We also had our 40-week OB appointment. I brought the little blanket that I finished for Nugget over the weekend. It was just a panel that I found at the fabric store. I could have simply finished the edges and been done, but the backing was so ugly I just had to find something else to use. The panel itself is a collection of cute little jungle animals all gathered together as if posing for a photo. It’s edged in blue, then giraffe print. I found a soft flannel giraffe print and backed it with that, instead. Looks much better, and Mum seemed pleased with the blanket altogether. I therefore call the project a success.

While waiting to be called in, Mum mentioned that she was going to “beg” Dr. Colorful to strip my membranes. We discussed the possibility that this might not work, but that I was certain we didn’t need to beg – he’s pretty willing to do whatever we ask, within reason.

The appointment went the same as always – everything looked good. I didn’t gain any weight between last week and this week, my blood pressure was well within the normal healthy range, Nugget’s heartbeat was great, s/he’s measuring right on for dates, etc.

Toward the end of the appointment, Mum and Dad asked about non-pharmaceutical or “at home” ways to induce labor. Dr. Colorful said the only good, safe way to do that is the good, old-fashioned way. This has been tried but I don’t wanna push Hubs too far, given that he’s laid up from foot surgery and even a strong jiggle of his foot causes discomfort for him. So Mum went out on a limb and asked if Dr. Colorful would be willing to try to push our induction date up a few days.

As I predicted, he went out to the nurse’s station and asked if they could contact Labor & Delivery to see if they had a bed open for me that very day. They were 80% full at that point, so yesterday was a no. They therefore scheduled me for today, with the understanding that if someone else came in who was already in labor, I’d likely get bumped to tomorrow. But either way, I’ll have Nugget today or tomorrow.


Needless to say that after years of hard work and heartbreak, Mum and Dad are beside themselves with excitement. As for me, I think I’ll have a chat with an anesthesiologist early on in the process to see if maybe Hubs is right, and an epidural might be more successful if not initiated during hard labor. If not, oh well. If so, cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment