Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Still Not There Yet.

So let’s see… What’s happened since last Tuesday? OH! On the way out of our appointment with Dr. Loud last Tuesday, I noticed that under “GBS” on the little slip that gets paper-clipped to my chart, there was a plus sign with a big old circle around it. The medical assistant who checked us into the room had handed us a pamphlet about Group B Strep, but neither she nor Dr. Loud bothered to actually TELL us, out loud, that I have Group B Streptococcus.

I had to find out by calling My Favorite Nurse, who gave me the full run-down. Yes, I have it. No, it’s not a big deal. It’s found in 30% of women. It’s not an STD; it’s not caused by any unhealthy behavior. It’s part of the normal bacteria found in the birth canal of the human female. The risk that it poses to baby is that if baby aspirates it on the way out of the birth canal, there’s a possibility that the bacteria could cause pneumonia. So they treat the mother/carrier with intravenous penicillin during labor. No big.

My Favorite Nurse made sure to note on my chart for this most recent Monday’s appointment that I should be told that I have it, and that the information she passed on to me should be reiterated. I’ve notified Mum and Dad, and they seem fine with it.


I’m still at 2-3 centimeters dilated and about 50% effaced – normal for this stage in pregnancy for someone who’s had babies before, and isn’t moments from labor. Nugget is still head-down and still not engaged. Blargh.

No comments:

Post a Comment