Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dismissed Again? I Want My Regular OB!

Soon, my pretties; soon I shall pop and it shall induce tears and laughter and probably involve all manner of other bodily fluids, because birth does that.

We had our 36-week ultrasound yesterday afternoon. Mum and Dad attended, of course, and so did Mum’s parents. They all got a huge kick out of seeing Nugget on screen, especially since the ultrasound tech was able to get them some really good 3D pictures of the baby’s chubby little face.

Whatever gender this baby is, s/he is a little porker. S/he’s measuring a week and a half larger than s/he is. We’re talking 7.5 pounds NOW. If by some strange twist of fate I make it to 40 weeks, we’re looking at a 9-pounder, easy. Anyway; the ultrasound went off beautifully and Mum and Dad got to take home some adorable pictures of their little Stay-Puft Marshmallow baby.

Our OB appointment was, yet again, irksome. We saw Dr. Loud who, as it turns out, isn’t so much loud as well, a little bit racist. It turns out that it was I.F.’s “foreign” accent that caused the doctor to yell him, through the entire appointment. Because, you know, speaking louder makes English more comprehensible to “them ferners.”

Dr. Loud measured my belly (37 cm, I believe) and tried to listen to Nugget’s heartbeat, but couldn’t really find it. Now, I’m not exactly excited about cervical checks, but as I understood it, they were supposed to begin around 36 weeks. We told Dr. Loud that my last pregnancy ended at 36 weeks, 3 or 4 days. To me, this suggests that I should be checked. I’m really confused as to why we had to ask him to check me yesterday; but we did. He said I’m 1-2 centimeters and didn’t mention anything about effacement. He did say that Nugget is not engaged, and so we shouldn’t expect anything too quickly.

Mum and Dad were not impressed with Dr. Loud’s dismissive attitude. Dr. Colorful might reassure us that we had a while to go yet, but Dr. Loud just seemed downright annoyed that we were asking him to do what we are all fairly certain is routine for this stage of pregnancy.


Anyway: I lost at least part of my mucous plug this morning. No bloody show and no leaking yet, but it’s a sign that labor is to be expected soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment