Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Flip, Curse You!

Well we’re now into OB visits every other week. As of Friday I was exactly 32 weeks pregnant (224 days, or 13,440 hours, or 806, 400 minutes, or 48,384,000 seconds). Yesterday I drove up to The Big Hospital, stopping nearly halfway between home and there, to empty my already empty stomach. Tempest has been giving me a hard time about overeating; eating oily or greasy foods (apparently even just root vegetables with a little bit of olive oil sprinkled on them to prevent them from burning when I roast them); or, well… Just eating food in general. One bite too many and suddenly I’m fighting to keep it down. Mind you, his sister did the same thing, but she was far gentler about it. She preferred that I just empty that one extra bite, please, she just needed a teensy bit more room. Not Tempest! Little stormling feels that if I’ve impeded on his space at all, EVERYTHING MUST BE PURGED! Bless ‘im.

My favorite nurse weighed me at two pounds lighter than last visit, which of course caused me to assume I was going to get scolded again. Au contraire, mes amis! Dr. Goggles told me he was glad to see it. The new standard, apparently, is for a preggosaurus to gain between 10-20 pounds during pregnancy. My net gain thus far is only eleven! WOOT! I got a shot for the nausea, which helped a bit; and a tetanus/pertussis (whooping cough) booster, to make sure that some of the antibodies from the pertussis vaccination eeks through the placenta and transfers to Tempest. The nurse gives great needle, but inevitably I wind up with a killer headache and a sore arm for several days afterward. Oh well; it’s for the little one. I can take it.

Dr. Goggles measured my fundal growth, and declared Tempest to be about two weeks ahead of the curve, but not to worry – at this stage, every baby grows differently. The ultrasound basically confirmed this. While “What To Expect While You’re Expecting” suggests that babies at this stage of development are usually around four-ish pounds, Tempest weighs a solid five. His head and belly are up around the 90th percentile for size, which puts him in the 70th overall. In other words; he’s a big baby. He’s still in frank breech position, but nobody’s worried about that right now. He’s still got two months to turn. Both Pooka (and reportedly Lord Bear as well) turned about a week before their due dates; dramatically so, even. They were also both large babies. Pooka weighed 8lbs, 10oz. Lord Bear was closing in on 10lbs, if I remember my mother’s recounting correctly.


The only concern I have about Tempest remaining breech is that I REALLY, REALLY don’t want to have a cesarean section. One: I don’t like surgery. Two: Epidurals don’t work on my right side, and while many have reassured me that spinal blocks are totally different, I’m still wary. I do NOT want to feel myself being cut open. And three: If I have a C-section, it will throw off mine and Hubs’ timeline for trying for a little monkey of our own. So if any of you lovely readers could send some thoughts along to encourage Tempest to get into the proper, head-down, rear-facing position by 36 weeks, I’d REALLY appreciate it.


No comments:

Post a Comment