Sunday, October 28, 2012

Embryos and Hurricanes

Friday I went down to The IVF Clinic for blood tests and an ultrasound to make sure that everything looked good for another embryo transfer. I tried to get them to let me do this part up at The Big Hospital here at home, but alas; the cycle is a package deal, and would have cost I.F. whether I went down to The IVF Clinic or not. So I got up at 4:00am, showered, grabbed my stuff, gassed up the car and popped over to Dunkin Donuts for breakfast so I'd be on the road by 5:15. Turned out to be a good thing I did leave a little early, since of course traffic down that way at the beginning of the day is always congested.

Some pokes and prods later, I was informed unofficially that the lining of my uterus was at 10.4mm on one side and 9.75mm on the other. I drove home, still nervous about what that meant; what if it was too thick? I knew that the preferred thickness for transfer was at least 8.5mm, but I didn't know if there was a maximum.

I'm not gonna lie; I'm a little gunshy about this cycle. Wiggleworm was unanimously successful from the get-go. The first cycle on this attempt was a pathetic failure. Maybe it was because Wiggleworm was transferred on Yom Kippur? Maybe this one is waiting for something memorable too. If so, I guess that being transferred as a massive hurricane makes landfall in the Northeast would certainly be memorable. Let's go with that.

I got a call on the way back home, informing me that everything looks great, and I'd get a call from the scheduler for an embryo transfer on Monday. Long story short: 1:30 tomorrow afternoon. WOO!

After I got home from The IVF Clinic; tired and a little cranky (driving 6 hours by myself while on hormones can do that to me, I guess), I decided to take a nap before I had to pick Hubs up from work and then drive another two hours south to my grandparents' house, since it was my weekend "in the barrel.*" It was not to be. Hubs wanted to chat, and then wanted to be picked up early. Shortly after we got back home and I tried to lay down, since Hubs had to go to a meeting for which he needed the car; Munchkin got home and wanted help getting ready for a dance that evening.

Once I finally got Munchkin and her friend into their costumes for the dance, it was too late to try to nap, so I packed up and headed out. I stopped at the store to pick up cookies for Grampy, who's in a physical rehabilitation facility for a broken pelvis. I had intended to visit him before going on to his house to hang out with Grammie and Eldest Uncle, but there was no way I was going to arrive at the facility before visiting hours were over. I also learned that he's not allowed to eat solid foods; only pureed ones, for the time being.

I had a lovely visit with Grammie and Eldest Uncle Friday evening, and stayed up chatting with them till 1:00am. I hadn't pulled a 21-hour-day for years, so needless to say I slept in a little Saturday morning. Eldest Uncle and I popped over to see Grampy for a couple hours, and we brought Uncle's little white dog, who is beautifully behaved and absolutely adorable. The older folks just love him; Grampy especially.

After our visit, I scooted over to the grocery store to pick up dinner fixin's. Made bacon-stuffed chicken breasts, rosemaried carrots and rice pilaf, which met with approval from Grammie as well as Eldest Uncle and Next-Up-From-Dad Uncle. (I've got three on that side. They rock.) Played cards and got totally stomped by Grammie and Eldest Uncle, but had fun nonetheless.

Today has been all about cleaning: Grammie's house and mine. Grocery shopping; lunch-making; dinner buying, etc. Breakfast was scrambled eggs with mushrooms, onions and peppers, and a little Montreal steak seasoning (a family staple), and bacon. Grammie and I made some egg salad for Eldest Uncle. Both Uncles and Grammie were highly complimentary, which obviously makes me feel special. (See? They rock.)

So yeah. Embryo transfer tomorrow. I'll let people know how it goes.

*I have learned that many people do not understand what I mean by this phrase, so I shall expound. Earlier this year, a schedule of sorts was established amongst the family that lives in state, so that every other weekend, one of our little nuclei would be responsible for visiting and doing the bigger household tasks at Grammie & Grampy's house. This would ensure that they were not left wanting for company or for help around the house, since they're both in their mid-eighties. My "weekend in the barrel" is therefore, the weekend for which I am scheduled to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment