Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Boy? Girl? Girl? Boy? I'm Not Telling.

Yesterday was our 18-week ultrasound and OB appointment. Uneventful, routine stuff for me; so much so that I forget sometimes how much it means to Mum and Dad. I hope that my old-hat way of going about things helps to put them at ease rather than making them feel that their experience is being minimized. Maybe I’ll ask.

My cravings this trimester have gone from jalapeno poppers (with no heartburn, believe it or not) to bananas. So of course Mum made me a huge batch of banana bread. She and Dad brought it to our appointment yesterday, and I’m not going to say I didn’t devour a healthy portion of it on my way home afterward. I shared a little bit with Hubs and Pooka, but it’s MINE!

Our nurse weighed me and brought us to our exam room where I chattered right through her taking my blood pressure and she very politely told me to shut up so she could get an accurate reading. The first one was kind of scary high. The second was actually a little below my usual, but still within the healthy range. While we waited for the doctor to come in and chat with us, Mum divulged that our previous visit turned out nicely, but that the doctor’s repeated references to friends of his who had undergone IVF and had twins was not well-received.

Dr. Firstname attended us this time and was just that – attentive. He’s more laid-back than most of the doctors with whom I’ve dealt at The Big Hospital except for perhaps Dr. Badass. He had no trouble finding Nugget’s heart beat with the Doppler, which seemed to please Mum greatly. He said my weight gain looks good, fundal height looks good, and Nugget’s heart rate was 144 beats per minute: well into the normal range. The normal range, for those of you who want to know, is 110-160 beats per minute. He told us that one of the next two visits was going to need to be two weeks from another, rather than four between each. We waffled a bit and decided to visit again two weeks from yesterday. Of course, we forgot to set up the appointment when we checked out, but I called this morning.

We got shuffled back out to the waiting room to cool our heels until we were called in for our ultrasound. We had a pleasant chat about my nerding habits, and discovered that we all share a fondness for the Game of Thrones TV show.  Mum made some comment about not letting me ask the ultrasound tech about the baby’s gender, and I couldn’t help myself. Dr. Goggles had VERY surreptitiously snuck it into our last visit, so I told her I know. I also told her that I wasn’t going to give it away. She started trying to reason it out but Dad and I both had to stop her, because her logic was moving in weird directions that weren’t making sense to us. So until Nugget is born, I’ll be dangling “he’s” and “she’s” and the occasional “it’s” in conversations, just to be a pain in the butt and make them laugh. Did I mention that I love their sense of humor? I think I may have, but I do.

According to the ultrasound Nugget is measuring a day ahead of her/his gestational age, and all of his/her bits look perfectly healthy. Mum and Dad got some great pictures AND a DVD of the whole shebang to take home with them. The ultrasound doctor came out to double check on the membranous septum in Nugget’s heart to make sure there weren’t any holes in it, and to check her/his upper lip to make sure it wasn’t cleft. Given that the last time this doctor came in to chat after an ultrasound it was to tell I.F. that Tempest had a slight abnormality in his brain, this visit was much more welcome.

We weren’t able to go grab lunch this visit because Mum had some work due for her job yesterday afternoon and it wasn’t stuff that could be done remotely. This worked out pretty well for me, as I had to pop off at Best Buy to pick up a Playstation 4 for Hubs’ birthday (which is today, by the way! Happy Birthday, Precious!). I dropped it off to him on my way back to the office, since he has to work through tomorrow and I wanted him to have some play time on it this week.

Except that there was a hardware fault with the power source. Hubs got this information after the PS4 crapped out and he called Sony support. They were able to diagnose the problem pretty quickly I guess, and Best Buy was marvelous about exchanging the bad unit for a new one. The guy at the customer service desk even tested it out for me to make sure that he didn’t send me home with another busted console.


And I got to have dinner with Pooka and an old friend of mine. We parted company quickly at the end of the night; my friend having decided to buy himself a Playstation 3 at the very, very last minute before Best Buy closed. Ha! Boys and their toys.

No comments:

Post a Comment