Monday, February 7, 2011

Completely Unrelated

I'm in a funk. I got two phone calls the other day from The University of Phoenix and The University of Chicago, regarding inquiries I had made into their nursing degree programs. Both informed me that I am nowhere near being eligible for their nursing programs, as they only offer RN-to-Bachelors of Science in Nursing programs. So I looked around for information on how to get my RN. Basically I'd have to start out by taking a course to get certified as an LNA (licensed nursing assistant). Then I'd have to work as an LNA for a while. After that, I could take two years' worth of college courses to become an LPN (licensed practical nurse), do more practicum, then take the NCLEX-RN (test to become a registered nurse), do some more practicum, THEN and ONLY then could I go to school for an additional four years of college to get my BSN.

Or I could go back to an in-state college and rack up another $60,000+ in college loans, on top of what hubs and I owe for HIS college education. Sorry folks, can't afford to do that. Even if hubs hadn't just finished his degree, I still couldn't afford to quit my job to go back to school full time.

So then I thought, well my ultimate goal was to be a midwife, right? So I looked up direct-entry midwifery laws by state, and there aren't very many states in the US that have outright outlawed direct-entry midwives. "Excellent!" I thought. "I could just go to midwifery school! There's one within an hour's drive of my house!" But oh yeah; there's that pesky *tuition* thing. Sure, my state's student assistance corporation offers grants to some students who attend in-state schools, but I'm not eligible for any of them because I make too much money. Hooray for circular arguments. I can't quit my job because we have bills and college loans to pay off, but no one takes bills and spouse's loans into consideration when reviewing the other spouse's financial situation for aid.

In addition, there are some other issues that have arisen with other people with whom I associate. The issues are old and, I thought, dealt with. Apparently not. So I can do no right, and am not a woman of whom anyone can be proud.

*Please note: This is not MY opinion of myself. This is someone else's attitude toward me. I realize that I have accomplished a good deal in my life thus far, and have hopefully had some positive impact on a few people at least.
Regardless, it hurts to know that someone who I thought WAS proud of me is not only *NOT* proud of me, but is angry at me for something for which I've made reparations.

There are other things dragging me down, but I am not at liberty to rant about them at current, as they do not directly involve me.

2 comments:

  1. Aw. :( If you find a midwifery program that is affordable for those people like us who supposedly make too much money but don't make enough to do more than scrape by, please let me know. I'd be so interested in joining you for the ride. Vis a vis the other stuff, I hope that it doesn't get you too down. I know how frustrating that can be. You are an amazing woman, but you knew that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did find The National Midwifery Institute in Bristol, VT. They are technically a distance-learning program, but there is a chance that VSAC will sole out a small amount of grant money to cover part of the $12,000 tuition.

    The downside for me here is that while I may be able to do the academic part of it in my spare time, I would still have to quit working to do the practicum to get certified. And I can't do that, because once hubs gets a job, we're going to have to start paying something like $500/month on his school loans, which will leave nothing for my own school payment schedule.

    Gotta love the Ouroboros.

    ReplyDelete