Saturday, September 17, 2016

Squall's New Room: Before.

How on earth am I almost 19 weeks pregnant already? Oh, right. Time. Duh.

Squall is now palpably wiggly and seems, like the previous tenants of the Uber Ute, to thoroughly enjoy kicking Husbeast in the back while we’re trying to sleep. Husbeast can’t feel it yet of course, but I can. And Catbutt has resumed his game of flicking my belly with his tail, waiting for a kick, and retaliating repeatedly. I think cats must be able to sense the movement somehow.

I spent today rearranging the furniture in my room (with Lil Man’s help, not to worry) so that we can turn what was originally my office (aka “Shame Closet”) into a little bedroom for Squall. I have to admit: I was reticent to vacate the space because I really enjoyed the privacy but with the movement of the bedroom furniture to new spaces, I now have the entire west wall of the room for my office, which allows me A LOT more room.

I know a lot of moms – far more stylish than I – decide on a “theme” for their nurseries. I had my mind set: Squall isn’t going to care about the décor in the least, until he’s at least three, if not older than that. So why would I bother doing much for decoration in that tiny space? And then I foolishly went on Pinterest. More often than not, I skim over the themed nursery pins suggested by the app but this morning while I lay in bed, summoning the motivation to get out of bed, I stopped scrolling at one named, “Adventure.” Now, some of the decorations were just downright silly – but the idea clicked with me.

Husbeast and I are avid H.P. Lovecraft fans, but obviously we wouldn’t decorate a nursery with Cthulhu or Yog Sothoth – it’d traumatize the kid. However; the Cthulhu mythos revolves around a certain amount of exploration, and THAT could make a pretty interesting child’s room. So 1920’s to 1940’s explorer is now our theme. Toss in a bit of Steampunk where it fits, and MAYBE a little Serenity (Firefly) hiding on the ceiling, and I think we’ve got a theme.


The room is tiny, but we’ll be moving out of here once Lil Man graduates high school, so Squall won’t be using the space for too long.

Here's the "before."

No comments:

Post a Comment