Friday, July 15, 2016

Roller Coaster Ride



What a rubbish, panicky month it’s been. No joke: It's been a total roller coaster, guys and dolls.

Not even two days after my last post, I started bleeding. Well, spotting really, as it turns out: but I panicked. I called the doctor and they said to lie down and rest, avoid lifting anything heavy and don’t overdo it. Of course, anyone who knows me knows I’m rubbish at sitting still for long, but I did as I was told.

The bleeding STILL hasn’t stopped (I'm nine weeks along); and I went to and from the emergency room and doctor’s appointments and been stuck in bed during the last two weeks (excluding this week.) I’ve had another ultrasound confirming Baby’s heartbeat which was good and strong, so that’s an upshot. We also confirmed that yes, my due date is exactly what I had calculated: February 15, 2017.

I cannot tell you what a horrid feeling it is to find yourself producing bright red blood when you’re not supposed to. The doctors have reassured me that as long as I’m not meeting a significant threshold, then it’s probably fine, and that plenty of women spot during their pregnancies. The problem is that I have NEVER, EVER spotted. I had a single scare with the last baby I birthed, but it resolved itself and that was the last of it.

I have an appointment on the 20th with one of the younger OBs at the Big Hospital whom I have yet to meet in my various pregnancy adventures. I hope things slow up by then and I’m able to have a normal rest-of-my-pregnancy.

Husbeast and I have also decided that, given all these scares, we’re not going to try for a home birth after all. I’m sure that the midwives would tell me that this is not out of the normal range and that I’m still a good candidate, but I’ll feel much more at ease in the hospital, I think. Thankfully, hospitals here are much less intervention-happy than other states. They try to stick to a laboring woman’s birth plan as closely as they can; they don’t push drugs, and elective cesarean sections are absolutely out of the question.

More after my doctor’s appointment.

No comments:

Post a Comment