Friday, March 14, 2014

"And Den?"

I cannot believe I forgot to mention this yesterday!

Tuesday night I was napping in my room between dinner and going out to pick Hubs up from work, when my cell phone rang. The voice on the other end of the line was a hesitant male, trying to be polite and pleasant – but it wasn’t anyone I recognized, and when he introduced himself, I knew he must have had the wrong number. When I tried to tell him so, however, he insisted that he had the right one. He said “they” had given him my number.

I asked him who he was looking for, and he spoke a name I didn’t know; then said something about her being a potential surrogate. This, of course, caught my attention. I asked him who he was dealing with, and he responded that he was working with The Agency. I asked him who, specifically, gave him my number and he informed me it had been the Carrier Coordinator. He reiterated that he was looking for this other girl, who reportedly lived in a town about 14 miles south of me.

I told this man that I would text the Carrier Coordinator and try to get this straightened out. He was obviously nervous, and had an initial matching call scheduled with this girl, so I wanted to make sure they connected. It’s nerve-wracking to go through the very first matching process – the surrogate worries that no one will like her profile, or that she won’t be a good match for anyone, or that potential Intended Parents won’t like her. So the sooner the Coordinator and I got them in touch, the better for both parties.

I texted the Coordinator and she triple-checked, then assured me that she had not given the Potential Intended Father (PIF) my number, but the other woman’s, and sent the correct number to me, as well. I forwarded the number on to PIF and must assume that he made the call immediately, because there was no answer when the Coordinator tried to call him. I texted him one last time to say, “Good luck,” and left it at that.

Out of curiosity, I hopped on Facebook and messaged a friend of mine, to whom Pooka and I refer as “Sexy J.” She and I had discussed surrogacy a while back, and I had given her The Agency’s information. I asked if, by chance, she knew of anybody in her town who had signed up. She responded by informing me that yes indeed, she knew just who I was talking about, and was visiting with that woman’s husband as we typed. Small world!

I wound up texting the woman (who I do not yet know well enough to give her a nickname) to wish her the best, and we wound up chatting for quite a while. We’ve tentatively decided to get together for dinner some evening to chat. It can be lonely sometimes, being the only person in your social circle who carries other people’s kids, so the idea of having a comrade in that way is very exciting!


We still have no idea how PIF got my number, but I wound up with a new friend, so I’ve got no complaints.

No comments:

Post a Comment