Monday, February 10, 2014

Nugget Has A Heart!

Ladies and gents: Nugget is here to stay! Despite the fiasco of last weekend, it is growing beautifully and has a good, strong heartbeat. We confirmed that heartbeat at a rate of 130 this morning.

The ultrasound tech was kind enough to save a little clip of the heart beating for me and set it to loop when she left, so that I could take a video (below) to send to Mum and Dad via text message, since they couldn’t be here. Mum had asked me to tell her “as soon as humanly possible” what Nugget’s heart rate was. So I took the video and sent it to her with this text: “Heart rate is 130 and Nugget is growing perfectly! Believe me now? LOL <3” She responded tearfully but happily.

I am convinced, at this point, that every pregnancy comes with one big scare or significant inconvenience. With Pooka, I was hospitalized overnight and given intravenous antibiotics for a kidney infection. WiggleWorm’s umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice but she was fine. And with Tempest, I wound up with kidney stones. So the way I figure it is that last weekend’s scare was our big drama with Nugget, and the rest will be smooth sailing.

For those of you who are curious as to what a 7-week old embryo looks like: this is it. The bean-shaped blob is Nugget, and the little pulsing blob inside Nugget is its heart.



UPDATE 2/11/14: I have one more monitoring appointment scheduled for next week, and then I'll be released into the care of the obstetricians at The Big Hospital.

1 comment: